Thursday, September 15, 2011

Caribou Season

What can I say so far? Things have been going a BIT better! The weather has been AMAZING! Today I was hot walking back to my apartment. Last night, Darren and Chuck took me out Caribou hunting. We left around 5:45 and headed up river towards Kiana (weather was also beautiful). The wind, however, was cold...more so by the end of the night. We got back just before 11:00 p.m.

While out there, we saw three caribou, but they were too far away and would be a living nightmare to pack out of there. So we moved on. We trolled further down river to see if we could sneak up on a bear that had been seen roaming a beach and sand bar. We were not so luck as to see it. Chuck DID spot a grizzly way up on a ridge, and Darren saw it as well. I was not able to see it. I was using my monocular and they were using binoculars. We then went a ways up from there and pulled up to a beach to sit and see if any caribou come to the water....none did. So we decided to head back down river. About 5 minutes into it, Darren's dad came up behind us so we just killed our engines and floated and chatted. When there was a lull in the conversation, there was beautiful silence. By that, I do not mean that you're out in the Kettle Moraine and you faintly hear cars on the high way. This was middle of nowhere silence with loons, gulls, and other birds making noises now and then. The sunset was spectacular, and the moon rise (which was way high by the time the sun set) was beautiful. It was a wonderful experience going out there.





















2 comments: